Tuesday, April 9, 2024

The Final Days of Nintendo Online

It is once again a dark day for gaming.  Nintendo’s last bastion of online gaming, the WiiU and 3DS, has now been shut down like the Wii and DS before it.  The only thing keeping Nintendo in people’s good graces is no more and this time there’s no excuse like the shenanigans with Gamespy that I’m aware of.The online play is the main reason I got a WiiU in the first place.  I was considering getting a Switch and all Nintendo had to do was not fuck up the online play like Sony did with the PS4 and Microsoft did with the 360 and Xbox One.  Needless to say, the Switch did exactly that and ended up being a piece of crap with no online play, obviously not counting scams.  The WiiU and 3DS was where it was at.  As long as Nintendo still had their good systems with actual online play, they could still claim to be the best console manufacturer.  You can imagine my heartbreak and outrage at the announcement that they were taking that away for no other reason than “fuck you give me money.”

I was already preparing for this day of doom and dread long before it came, regularly playing Splatoon, Monster Hunter and Mario Maker, but this weekend and the day of reckoning, to say goodbye to the online play I love so much, the last gasp of Nintendo’s dignity and the days in which they weren’t a garbage company, I played online 3DS and WiiU games constantly from morning to night.  It was an absolute marathon.  I was playing online Wii U and 3DS games like WorldofTshirts drinks alcohol.  The only times I wasn’t playing a 3DS or WiiU game online was when I was eating, sleeping, stretching and watching the lunar eclipse, which was an amazing sight to behold that I may never see again.

I said goodbye to the Badge Bunny, who was heartbreakingly blissfully unaware of what was to come, I exchanged pictures online in Dragon Quest 8 a few times for old times sake and I played tons and tons of more involved online features.

I played Super Mario Maker.  I downloaded all the best courses I came across, downloaded a few from the same creators for good measure, downloaded all the event courses, got every easy difficulty mystery mushroom, tried to beat the expert difficulty, failed and got the last of the event mystery mushrooms (turns out you had to beat the Hello Kitty one twice).

I played Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D.  Believe it or not there were still players online I got to play a few rounds with.  We struggled and lost a few times, but dominated it other times.

I played Senran Kagura 2.  It was hard enough finding players even when the game was newer and now that assholes online sell copies for upwards of 100 dollars there’s next to no chance I was finding anyone by waiting, so I found someone online who would play with me.  It’s still a lot of fun fighting enemies and bosses with others and seeing what costumes the other player comes up with (even if this one wasn’t doing that much).  I doubt the game will ever get a re-release and I’m extremely thankful to that player for letting me experience the online play of my favorite 3DS game one last time.

I played Super Street Fighter 4 3D.  There were still a few players online playing at a ridiculously high level and probably abusing the infamous touch controls.  I appreciate their dedication to this unorthodox version of the game, but I ended up going a few rounds with someone I met playing Monster Hunter.  He was not playing at a high level.  Sure I have it on PC now with my trusty arcade stick, but the 3D experience is something unique I’m thankful I could enjoy with another person one last time.

I played Xenoblade Chronicles X.  I finally got to join a couple of squad missions with some other players, something I could never quite figure out how to do before (the game isn’t always clear).  I’m happy I was able to experience it at least once.  I also played regularly while connected online just so the rewards tickets, which make the game a little easier, would stock up to my maximum for when I play again offline.  Barring one difficult objective that will max them out again, I will never be able to get those rewards tickets again.

I played Mario Kart 7 and 8.  Some of the cutthroat players online just aren’t the same as playing against a computer and there’s a sense of community fun when so many people are playing together.  Mario Kart may never have that again now.  Online play added a whole new dimension to the racing.

The big ones I played though are the ones with the biggest number of players: Splatoon, Monster Hunter 3 and 4 Ultimate.  Hour after hour of Splatoon and the Monster Hunter games, both of which had players possibly in the hundreds.

Splatoon was a ton of fun and I was able to keep trying out new weapons and outfits, playing against different players on different maps and once I reached level 10 I could play different modes and it was never difficult finding players for it.  I was going to play it until the servers went down, but that ended up being far later than I expected and the ranked matches, for some baffling reason, kept ending less than a minute after starting, which I suspect was the work of hackers knowing that it doesn’t matter if they get banned now.  Way to ruin the last day of glory, assholes.

Monster Hunter 3 and 4 Ultimate was full of meeting new people to play with, having tons of fun fighting a wide variety of different monsters with a wide variety of different equipment and wide variety of different player skill levels.  It helps a lot that the max level gigachads can practically carry missions for you while you thank them profusely.  There’s nothing quite as special as chatting it up with other chums alongside emotes or seeing someone trap a monster then 4 players all demolishing it with giant swords twice their size.

Online Monster Hunter helped me to get a lot of material and money I can use for the single player game.  So that I never forget the friends I made playing the game, I made sure to exchange guild cards, with mine having my Steam username for anyone who wants to contact me on something that’s still online.  Players of whom you have guild cards will appear in your plazas even offline, forever immortalizing the fellow players I met over this last year of playing and especially the many people I met during this weekend’s big online play extravaganza.

It all ended when I was playing with another Monster Hunter in 4 Ultimate I kept running into and we were determined to play until we were forcibly disconnected.  We kept going for a good couple hours after the servers were supposed to go down while one of us relayed the games that were being taken down, but I eventually realized was that a forced disconnect wouldn’t happen and instead the game would simply not let us reconnect.  One of my fellow hunters was in Britain where it was 2 a.m., the poor guy.  We played a ton, hunted a shit ton of monsters, got a lot of loot, but we said our goodbyes and I eventually, tearfully left.  With that, Nintendo online ended forever.

Then it started raining outside.

For all the people I may have played with all these years, I’m happy to have played with you.  Just being there to play with made the game a more fun experience.  This excludes hackers.  They can go to hell.

Now Mario Maker is practically useless, save for the many different courses I saved, Splatoon is even more useless because the main game mode is gone, never to be played ever again, the social hunting that defines Monster Hunter now only lets you play locally (though to be fair I have seen such local groups, but that’s still majorly limiting) and the great many benefits that made Xenoblade Chronicles X more lenient with its grinding is no longer there, making the worst parts of the game more of a chore.

Now there is no online play for Nintendo systems, making Sony the best console manufacturer thanks to the PS3 and Vita.  All you can connect to the internet with on a Nintendo product is the Switch and if you try to do practically anything online other than go to the eshop you get a message that says “fuck you give me money.”

No, Nintendo.  Fuck you.

No comments:

Post a Comment